27 January 2016
Company of the Month January | Dahl International Tax Law
Americans moving abroad to set up a business or to take up residence in a foreign country can be faced with a number of challenges, including conflicting information, advice, and demands. Dealing with a new environment can be made even more difficult by often complicated legal and financial systems that are hard to understand and navigate. In addition, the new tax-reporting requirements dictated by the passage in the United States of FATCA (Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act) has added to the administrative burdens of financial institutions around the world, and to the concerns of American expats and dual nationals as they seek to fulfill their obligations to the US Internal Revenue Service (IRS). However, a new consultancy has been set up in The Hague, the Netherlands, which offers expert legal advice to American expats and solutions to any difficulties they might face.
About Dahl International Tax Law
Dahl International Tax Law has been set up at the World Trade Center (WTC) in The Hague, and its founder, Christine Dahl, has over 30 years of legal experience, thus enabling the firm to offer expert assistance to its clients to sort out their tax difficulties in relation to the IRS and/or to US financial laws. The US State Department estimates that 7.6 million Americans live abroad, but the IRS typically hears from fewer than 10% of them. That means that the remaining 90% are not in compliance with legal requirements. The recent wave of intergovernmental agreements under FATCA to exchange taxpayer information is making non‑compliance easier to identify, often causing problems for people who have inadvertently failed to fulfill their US tax obligations. On 16 October 2015, IRS Commissioner John Koskinen urged Americans living abroad to consider the voluntary disclosure programs that allow citizens to come into compliance with U.S. tax laws without facing penalties.
Christine Dahl has had a long and distinguished legal career spanning a number of decades, which makes her uniquely qualified to help with tax and legal problems. In the United States, she was a practising lawyer and a Federal Public Defender, handling complex cases involving security fraud and money laundering. In that context, she carried out forensic accounting work, and can appear in front of the IRS and in US courts to argue cases. A high point in her career in the United States is her winning record before the United States Supreme Court, where she won a milestone case in 2003 ending the indefinite detention of would-be immigrants.
She continued her distinguished career in Europe, where in 2006 she took up a position as a Senior Prosecutor for the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia. As the Tribunal began winding down its work, she initially opened a small legal and tax office. At the WTC in The Hague, she is seeking to expand her practice to include coaching and training for new entrepreneurs who are seeking to exploit the positive business opportunities that exist in this city and in the Netherlands in general. Because of her work at the Tribunal, she has been able to assist international civil servants to submit cases in front of United Nations Administrative Tribunals and at the Administrative Tribunal of the International Labour Organisation in Geneva, Switzerland.
Doing business in The Hague
Asked about her new venture, Christine Dahl said, “I decided to open my new office in the WTC because of the positive approach of the West Holland Foreign Investment Agency, which encourages investment by start-ups and new ventures. I have found the environment in the WTC-The Hague to be extremely professional and constructive.” The WTC is in an ideal location (readily accessible from all directions by public transport), and the light and spacious office building where the Dahl International Tax Law firm is located symbolizes the spirit of innovation and renewal that The Hague encourages.
For more information, please visit www.dahlinternationaltaxlaw.com